Thursday, November 01, 2007

Boston Children's Museum and other things.

Hi, It's been a good long time since I wrote anything, so I figured
I ought to. Alicia needs more material for the news letter anyhow.
On September 15th, JJ, Austin, and I went into the Boston Children's
Museum for a Critter Day. We had a little section of the museum to
set up a play pen and introduce the ferrets to any kids that wanted
to meet them. We were there with some of the shelter folks, Alicia
and Dino, Susan and Skyla were there too. As well as some of the
shelter occupants. I for the life of me can't remember which one's,
but JJ and Austin were there, so that is all that matters!

It was a very fun day, we met quite a few people and introduced them
to the ferrets. JJ and Austin also got to get re-aquainted with some
of their pals from when they lived in the shelter. They enjoyed
themselves as much as we humans did. All that unsolicited attention!
Finally they got the limelight they deserved. On the drive into Boston,
My 2 boys were incredibly antsy, I took them in the detachable top
floor of their condo. I had it all neatly arranged. Corner litterbox
in place, food here, bed there, mat under all. By the time we got
there, the litter box and food had been spilled a couple of times,
and the bedding was everywhere! So they were full of energy for
the day. The trip home was the complete opposite. Once we got out
of the building and into the car and traveling, they settled
right down and went straight into what I like to call the ferret
sleep of the dead. In this state it takes an atomic bomb blast
to get a ferret to stir. Even when you get their attention, they
will open up one eye and say, what? The first time I encountered
this phenomenon was with my first ferret, Mishka. I cam home
found her curled up and unresponsive and was really sad because
I thought she had passed on. When they get like that, they are
limp as a wet noodle, and will usually have a tongue hanging out.
Then I realized, wait a minute! She's very warm, and breathing!
I was tapping her on the forehead for a minute or so before
she stirred and opened one eye with the attitude of, what
do you want?

Other things going on at home, I have instituted some tooth
brushing. Starting with Starlight and Ozzie who had some
gross things growin in their mouths. Now Starlight is a tiny
little thing, we just weighed her last week at the vets and
she was at 640 grams, which is a good weight for her. I bought
a couple of children's ultra soft tooth brushes and some kitten
tooth paste and started out. When I scruff her, she can make
it with her neck, so there is nothing to grab. I will eventually
get a hold on her. But when I start brushing, then the fun begins!
She will thrash about like a little devil. I can't keep a grip
on her. She spins her bottom around like a top. She spends
most of the day sleeping and resting, she is almost 8, so
she has plenty of energy to spare. I will eventually get the
deed done, but we are both usually covered in tooth paste!
After that it's Ozzie's turn. He lets me scruff him and brush
away for as long as I want. Go figure. This is the one that
Alicia sent with me because he chomped on too many people.
He is fine with me. Hasn't tried in a while. I think he is
content. Well, that is all for now. Life goes on, there
are always plenty of N-bones and other treats, who could
ask for more?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greta update Greg-- fomr the shelter the following kids attended with JJ & Austin at BCM: BLossom, Elric, Barn-y & Destiny ( who spent most of her time in time-out!

I think it is great that Ozzie is behaving better for you... he sure is not gentle to females! LOL

Keep up the great ferret work. Alicia at Ferret Wise

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh about Starlight spinning like a top with her tail end while you tried to do her teeth. My Doodle who passed earlier this year, would do that every time I went to do something she did not like. I wish you and your fuzzies a wonderful holiday season.

Dorothy (Alicia knows me)